- Boil the dal and tomatoes with a pinch of turmeric powder and 1 cup water till the dal is soft. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, prepare the seasoning by heating the butter.
- Add the cumin and mustard. When the cumin is slightly fried, add all the other seasoning ingredients except the red chilli, turmeric and dhania.
- Fry till the onion starts turning color.
- Now add the powders and fry for a minute.
- Remove from heat and add the boiled dal/tomato to this.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves. Mix well. Adjust the salt if necessary. Add 1 cup of water.
- Tomato Chutney (ownchef.wordpress.com)
- Red Lentil Dhal (savesavesave.blogspot.com)
- Punjabi Dal Tadka (lajjatdarswayampak.wordpress.com)